These have been years in the making. At the initial undertaking of this project, holding a gorgeous birch branch fresh fallen from a violent thunderstorm-the plan was to make the things as authentic as one could.
Many sources were sought and read. Nothing seemed do-able for me. My gut wanted to burn the runes using my wood burning tool. Many sources said that was not good, the runes must be carved/scratched into the wood. And I was insisting on using my Birch branch, not a fruit bearing tree branch. My gut versus the books, I couldn’t decide. I sat on the idea for two years.
Then came the due date of baby R. And I felt an internal push to do the runes now. I’ll have a large supply of blood to paint them with, do the thing NOW.
I went with my woodburning tool. When I know more about the runes, and make other sets down the road, I’ll concern myself with the ‘proper way’ to make them then. For now, these are a learning tool, and I went with what my gut said to do two years ago, despite what my eyes had read. And I feel oddly at peace.
Blooding them will come next.